Originally from Brazil and living in New Zealand, Tatiana Tavares has won numerous awards for her illustration and design across Brazil, Australia, New Zealand and US. From a ten-year career in advertising and graphic design, Tatiana received in 2011 her MA in Art and Design from Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand. She is now completing a practice led PhD at AUT University, where she also lectures illustration, narrative studies and branding. Her particular approach to design crosses diverse materials, disciplines and processes. Among these are graphic design, photography, storytelling, illustration, collage, prop making, film, sound design, and animation. Her interests lie in self-narrative inquiry and forms of autoethnography, magic realism, South American literature, mysticism and cross-cultural studies.
AWARDS & CONFERENCES
- New Zealand Best Awards – Bronze for Carnival Land
- Australian Illustration Awards – Highly recommended.
- Featured in the Chorus Network New Zealand Artist Showcase in Times Square – NYC for Carnival Land.
TVNZ Full Coverage: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/kiwi-artwork-fills-new-york-s-times-square-5127164/video
- Featured artist on Neighbourhood: Series 1, Episode 28. CBD TVNZ full coverage: http://tvnz.co.nz/neighbourhood/s1-ep28-video-5198894
- HyperWerk: Swiss Institute for Postindustrial Design: conducted week-long ‘Bricolage Identity’ workshop for 3rd year bachelor students.
- Masters thesis featured in Insight Magazine (Issue 01, 2011) and Debate Magazine (Issue 17, 2012), AUT University
EXHIBITIONS & RESEARCH
- April 2011: Exhibition Satellite Gallery – Auckland / NZ: ‘Carnival Land’
- May 2011: Exhibition WM Building AUT University – Auckland / NZ: ‘Carnival Land’
- Thesis Carnival Land – A Performance of Metaphors: http://aut.researchgateway.ac.nz/handle/10292/1318
- Upstream Prospectus Through Design Publication – Basel / Switzerland : ‘Bricolage Identity’
NYC (Oct 2012)